Part of being a stay-at-home mom, in my mind at least, is having the ability to welcome your children home from a busy day of learning with a fun, healthy after-school snack. I have wanted to do this for a long time and just haven't kicked myself into gear to get it done. Well, that all changed this week. Each day my goal is to have a different snack ready for the girls when they get home from school. The snack is something small (as we eat dinner around 5:30 or 6:00), easy to make (a must for me) and healthy (I was aiming for an alternative to cookies and candy). I wanted to post this on Monday, when we started, but life got in the way. :)
Monday - Ants on a Log
Audrey loves raisins, but Claire did not want them on her snack. "Just on a log for me, hold the ants" was her request. So it was one "Ants on a Log" and one "On a Log"... I love that they make me laugh every day. I love being a mom... and most importantly, I love being their mom!
Tuesday - Apple Slices and Peanut Butter
Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures (but I'm sure you all know what apples and peanut butter look like)...
Wednesday - Fruit Skewers with Cinnamon Dip
This was a snack that took a bit of preparation but was quite easy. Audrey loved the dip, but Claire passed. The main reason for that was because she saw that I put sour cream in it and she got it in her head that it would be sour, which it is far from being sour. But once she gets something into her head, there is not much changing her mind at that sitting. I'm sure she will try it next time without any problems. The cinnamon dip recipe is below for those of you who might be interested.
Cinnamon Dip
Mix 1 cup sour cream and 2 tablespoons each brown sugar and lime juice.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Mix well. Thread fruit on skewers and serve with dip.
This made a good bit of dip. For small children, you could easily cut the recipe in half and have plenty for a snack.


Yum! Looks good.
ReplyDelete