Maybe it's just history repeating itself... this inter-family rivalry that Audrey and I have going... I mean, I grew up with my mom in a house full of die-hard Alabama fans, but my dad, and that whole side of my family, are huge Auburn fans. As many of you know, the Alabama/Auburn rivalry is one of the biggest in college football. So having a daughter that cheered for the "other" team must have been really hard for my dad, especially when this said daughter decided to go to the "other" school for college meaning he had to send his hard-earned money to the enemy (aka - University of Alabama).
Since Audrey decided to become a Gator I can now sympathize with my dad as I now know first-hand how hard it is. My dad just laughs about it now... I know that he thinks it is poetic justice... that my daughter is now cheering for the "other" team... but at least the "other" team isn't Auburn! :) I say it's karma... I am a true believer in the adage that "what goes around, comes around"... And in this instance, it has come back around.
Audrey loves the Gators, Tim Tebow and anything Florida. But just like my dad did with me, I will support Audrey's choice (as hard as it may be) to cheer for the Gators. That said, I am still a Bama girl and will continue to cheer "Roll Tide!"
Tomorrow is the big game - Alabama vs Florida... It's round 2... Audrey won last year and I am hoping that she doesn't get a repeat performance! When I was in college, my dad and I started a tradition for the Alabama/Auburn game. The winner gets to call the loser and "boast". There have been years where we were pretty boastful (to the point of being a bit obnoxious) and years where we were rather tame. This year was the latter. The game was great - exciting from the first second to the last! I was very thankful to have the honor of being the one to get to make the call, not receive it, because it could have gone either way... the game was that close. I called and basically said, "That was a great game! I'm really glad my team won!"
Audrey and I have started our own tradition too with regard to the Alabama/Florida game, which you probably read about in the "The Bet" post. I hope that our rivalry tradition will mean as much to her one day, as my tradition with my dad means to me. It is all for fun, but it's still hard to be the one who receives the call or, in the case with Audrey, wears the "other" shirt.
Since Audrey decided to become a Gator I can now sympathize with my dad as I now know first-hand how hard it is. My dad just laughs about it now... I know that he thinks it is poetic justice... that my daughter is now cheering for the "other" team... but at least the "other" team isn't Auburn! :) I say it's karma... I am a true believer in the adage that "what goes around, comes around"... And in this instance, it has come back around.
Audrey loves the Gators, Tim Tebow and anything Florida. But just like my dad did with me, I will support Audrey's choice (as hard as it may be) to cheer for the Gators. That said, I am still a Bama girl and will continue to cheer "Roll Tide!"
Tomorrow is the big game - Alabama vs Florida... It's round 2... Audrey won last year and I am hoping that she doesn't get a repeat performance! When I was in college, my dad and I started a tradition for the Alabama/Auburn game. The winner gets to call the loser and "boast". There have been years where we were pretty boastful (to the point of being a bit obnoxious) and years where we were rather tame. This year was the latter. The game was great - exciting from the first second to the last! I was very thankful to have the honor of being the one to get to make the call, not receive it, because it could have gone either way... the game was that close. I called and basically said, "That was a great game! I'm really glad my team won!"
Audrey and I have started our own tradition too with regard to the Alabama/Florida game, which you probably read about in the "The Bet" post. I hope that our rivalry tradition will mean as much to her one day, as my tradition with my dad means to me. It is all for fun, but it's still hard to be the one who receives the call or, in the case with Audrey, wears the "other" shirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment