So it's Monday, March 14th, approximately 6:30 in the a.m., we have made it through registration and are settled into the birthing suite. The nurses came in and started all of the wonderful paperwork that has to be completed and they readied me for my IV and such. Inductions, in my opinion, are great! Everything runs smoothly... For me, it just made the whole experience much more relaxed and enjoyable. The nurses were concerned that this delivery might progress too quickly this time around since my labor with Claire was only two hours start to finish, so they started my epidural earlier than usual that way I wouldn't miss the window of opportunity to get it. So while I was only 3 cm and with pain ranking a mere 2 on the 10 point scale, the wonderful anesthesiologist came in to start my epidural. Now this did slow my labor progression but I was in absolutely zero pain so I did not see that as a problem. Here is a photo to show you how Brock and I spent the couple of hours waiting for everything to progress...
Notice the iPad is sitting on the table next to Brock's leg... We watched a movie and then some stand-up comedians... Nothing like some good laughs before delivering a baby. ;) Speaking of having a baby, here's a photo of me in labor...
See why epidurals are such great things... "Active labor" and not one ounce of pain! :) The pitocin drip was started around 9:00 a.m. and around 2:00 p.m. the nurse called the doctor in... It was showtime! The doctor came in and checked my progression and said that Emma was ready to greet the world. One, two, three pushes and here she was! (Thank you Pilates!!!) Our perfect little baby girl, Emma Catherine Ballard said "Hello World!" at 2:25 p.m. on the 14th of March 2011. Brock cut her umbilical cord (just like he did with all of our children) and then the nurses weighed, measured and scored our little bundle - 7 lbs 2 oz, 19.5 inches and 9s on both Apgar tests. See... I told you she was perfect! Here are some photos of Emma shortly after delivery...
We spent the rest of the afternoon loving, holding and just soaking in all of the goodness that comes with a new baby. My mom brought the "Big Sisters" to visit later that day and they were so excited to meet their new little sister. I had the most adorable shirts made for them that said "Big Sis Audrey" and "Big Sis Claire". Emma had a gown that said "Lil Sis Emma". (You will see the shirts/gown in one of the photos below.) Claire was the most excited I think because she was finally a big sister like Audrey. We explained that they are both special roles because Audrey is now a double big sister and Claire is now a big and little sister. Emma has a special role too being a double little sister. Our hope is that these "special" roles will help alleviate any issues with being labeled the "oldest", "middle" and "baby" later. Here are some photos of the big sisters meeting the little sister...
Claire couldn't wait to hold Emma...
Daddy and his three girls :)
Audrey holding Emma
Claire holding Emma
The Girls!
Three Sisters




Your new little addition is adorable! You have 3 beautiful girls! I'm glad everything went so smoothly for you. Love all the photos!
ReplyDelete